From: Joy Entertainment DVDs
To: Sandra Thompson ([email protected])
Subject: Renew your membership!
Dear Sandra Thompson,
We are sorry to inform you that your membership with Joy Entertainment DVDs will expire soon. As of the expiration date, which is February 2, you will not be able to borrow any DVDs or videos. To avoid this problem, we’d like you to renew your membership. For the customers who renew their membership this week, we offer a chance to win a DVD player in a raffle.
To renew your membership, you can visit our website or the store. If you have any questions, the customer service call center is available 24 hours every day.
1. Your membership is going to [____] soon.
2. We want you to [____] your membership.
3. We will give you an opportunity to get a DVD player in a [____].
4. You can renew your membership by [____] our store.
5. The customer service call center is always [____].
Chipmunks and Squirrels
You might think chipmunks and squirrels are similar, but there are some differences.
The biggest difference between them is their size. Chipmunks are smaller in size. They usually weigh around 100 grams whereas squirrels weigh two or three times more.
Their habitats are also different. Chipmunks live in underground holes which are 30 feet long. On the ther hand, squirrels prefer to live in trees and use cavities as their home.
They differ in some of their behavior, too. For example, chipmunks keep their tails straight when they run while squirrels keep their tails horizontal. In addition, chipmunks tend to store their food in the pouches of their cheeks to prepare for the winter, and squirrels usually bury nuts in their nests.
The next time you see either of these two, you won’t mistake one for the other.
1. Squirrels are smaller in size than chipmunks. ( )
2. Chipmunks’ homes are located under the ground. ( )
3. Chipmunks run with their tails horizontal. ( )
4. Both chipmunks and squirrels store their food for winter. ( )
This is Jina White. Welcome to the Weekend Weather Update! Mild weather is expected on Saturday. Saturday will be sunny and clear, with a high near 26 degrees. Winds will remain steady at 5 to 10 miles. But you should bring your umbrella when you go out. There will be a 60-percent chance of showers in the afternoon.
Sunday morning will be warm, with a low around 22 degrees, but some parts of the city will be cloudy. The chance of precipitation is 30 percent, but it will go up to 70 percent as it gets late. Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected around midnight, so you’d better close all your windows before going to bed on Sunday. Thank you for watching the Weekend Weather Update.
1. What is the highest temperature on Saturday going to be?
-> It is [____].
2. What is the lowest temperature on Sunday morning?
-> It is [____].
3. When are heavy showers and thunderstorms expected?
-> Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected at [____] on [____].
Subject: Mrs. Harrison’s Goodbye Party
You know Mrs. Harrison is going to transfer to another school next week. All of you must agree that she has been a wonderful and caring teacher to us. I’d like to suggest that we raise some money and throw her a goodbye party this Friday. I will book the auditorium for Friday afternoon for the party. We should decorate the place with our pictures, handwritten letters, and some colorful balloons. In addition, I will bring a cake on which Mrs. Harrison’s name will be carved. Hopefully, everyone will be there and will let her know we will really miss her. Send me an e-mail if you are interested in participating in this party or have party ideas. Thanks!
1. Mrs. Harrison will be teaching at another school.
2. Mrs. Harrison is going to transfer this Friday.
3. The writer suggests that they should raise some money.
Spain is a country that is known to have rich and delicious cuisine. Lots of Spanish food contains seafood because the country is surrounded by the sea. The cuisine also uses lots of tomatoes and fresh vegetables, so the cuisine is not only tasty but is also healthy. The most popular Spanish dish is paella. It is cooked rice with various ingredients such as seafood, meat, vegetables, and sometimes beans. The most important things in making paella are saffron and olive oil. They are the key ingredients which make paella an unusual rice dish. Even though making paella requires lots of ingredients, but the recipe is rather simple, so the dish is loved all around the world. Another famous Spanish dish is called escabeche. It refers to a dish of fried fish, which is marinated in vinegar and mixed with some vegetables. It is not as popular as paella worldwide, but it is healthy and tasty like other Spanish cuisine.
1. Ingredients from the sea are often used in Spanish cuisine. ( )
2. Escabeche is getting more popular than paella around the world. ( )
Hi, everyone! This is Nighttime News. The victims of killer ticks are increasing, so special caution is required. Yesterday, a 50-year-old farmer who was brought to Johnsonville Hospital is suspected of being bitten by a killer tick. He showed some symptoms of the killer tick infection, and doctors found a tick bite on him. An infection by killer ticks has a fatality rate of as high as 30 percent, and the symptoms include fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. The ticks can infect humans with bacteria and viruses which lead to a serious illness. To avoid killer ticks, you should always watch out for the ticks. According to authorities, you can reduce your chances of getting bitten by using insecticide and taking a shower after doing outdoor activities. These activities include playing outdoors, gardening, camping and hiking. Avoiding these activities can be helpful because the ticks tend to be found in moist and humid environments like grassy areas. Remember that prevention is far more important than treatment.
1. According to the passage, what is NOT one of the symptoms of the killer tick infection?
(1) Throwing up
(2) Having a runny nose
(3) Having a fever
2. Which of the following is true according to the passage?
(1) The killer tick infection can cause death.
(2) Insecticides don’t work on killer ticks.
(3) Killer ticks are mostly found inside buildings.
Dear Luke Shay,
First of all, thank you for paying attention to Save the Animals. Save the Animals is an animal shelter that takes care of stray animals such as dogs and cats and finds new homes for them. We are always open for animal lovers and volunteers.
The most essential job of the volunteers here is taking care of the animals. It includes feeding them three times a day, washing them once a week, and spending some time with them. It might sound easy, but we have over 100 animals, so it’s quite a lot of work.
Besides, we do a big cleanup every Sunday. Volunteers are supposed to clean the cages and the main office. The work involves sweeping, wiping, and heavy lifting.
If you want to apply, please fill out the application on our website, and we will contact you. Again, we appreciate your interest.
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the volunteers’ jobs?
(1) Giving food to animals
(2) Keeping the animals clean
(3) Purchasing cages for animals
2. How can people apply for the volunteer job?
(1) They can visit the animal shelter.
(2) They can submit an online application.
(3) They can contact the animal shelter.
Alexander the Great
Unlike other kings, Alexander, the king of Macedonia, was referred to as Alexander the Great. He truly deserved this title because his expedition led not only to the conquest of the East but also to cultural exchanges between the East and the West.
In 334 B.C., Alexander the Great marched through Asia Minor (modern-day Turkey) with an allied force of Macedonians and Greeks and defeated the Persian army. In the following years, Alexander the Great smashed a vast number of Persian armies, and he was the main contributor to the collapse of the Persian Empire. His ambition to conquer new territories in the East was never-ending. Going over to Egypt, he built Alexandria, a city that he named after himself. In addition, he even advanced past the Indus River and marched to India.
Unfortunately, Alexander the Great died of a fever at the age of 32. Although he died young, his legendary expedition and achievements allowed Greek culture to spread through Eastern countries.
1. What were the top achievements of Alexander the Great?
(1) The conquest of the East and the collapse of the Persian Empire
(2) The conquest of the East and cultural exchanges
(3) The conquest of Greece and forming an allied force
2. Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage?
(1) Alexander the Great built a new city in Egypt.
(2) Alexander the Great didn’t stop marching to the East.
(3) Alexander the Great died from his wounds in a battle.